Thursday, August 09, 2012

oi being deaf

Being deaf...

I couldn't tell the Pandora had stopped today.. and in fact was sure I was still listening to low volume music of some sort.

I saw a discussion the other day about being comfortable discussing your deafness. I continue to be surprised by the number of people who are young and have grown up deaf, who are terrified to mention it to anyone. If they get into a conversation they cant follow, they just walk away. I don't quite understand why. I mean, clearly they are shy and embarrassed, but what a way to go through life.
I think I tell 95% of the people who walk into my store that I'm deaf, and they are going to have to : speak up, be closer to me, slow down, etc. Most people either don't get it, or do, but very very few look at you like they are annoyed. Its not that big of a deal and things end to go better when you are up front about it as soon as a situation arises aka, if you have asked them to repeat them selves at least once already.

No comments: