Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Dia De Los Muetros

A storm is rolling in. We are supposed to see up to 6" of snow in Denver tomorrow. The fall colors are really vibrant right now as the gray clouds roll in. I wish I were spending tomorrow carving my giant pumpkins, but instead I am spending it writing.  Maybe I can get them moved inside anyway.
 Not sure what I want to carve this year. I didn't do any last year, due to the neighbor kids breaking them before i could do anything with them.

As an adult I find myself looking forward to Dia De Los Muetros more than Halloween. Why? I don't know, I don't really celebrate it. Some years I make a small shrine, but at this point in life I don't have many old photos- they still reside with my parents. I think, I just really like the symbolism of the holiday and the celebration. Don't get me wrong, I freakin love Halloween, but this is bigger somehow.

As I said, we have a snow storm moving in. One of my giant marigolds was quite successful this year and is- or was, still blooming away out there. This afternoon I cut all the flowers and strung them into a garland, adding in pretty pink roses. I made a little shrine in the living room. I may only have 2 photos to add to it, but when I look at it, I think about all of the friends and relatives who touched my life in one way or another and are no longer with us.


Pumpkins. I actually have 6. One is out of the shot. Should I do a series? Ideas? Anyone desperately want a giant pumpkin of their own?


RIP Uncle Bill
William Chilvers 1921- 2011

No comments: